Whether you’re on a strict diet or simply mindful of your diet and health, there’s one particular group of foods that are shamed within the realms of most classic dieting practices – carbs and starchy foods. It’s drilled into us that potatoes and chips, in particular, are a truly bad food, something to avoid at all costs. Cutting out carbs is such a popular notion, and yet this group of foods certainly doesn’t have to be avoided for you to have a healthy diet. No, if enjoyed in moderation, potatoes, and starchy foods provide a great source of energy within the macronutrient world and are an important player in keeping us feeling full. So let’s stop with the shaming and enjoy carbohydrates, in moderation and a healthy manner.
Of course, a grease dripping portion of deep fried chips aren’t going to do wonders for your health, but there is a healthy way to enjoy most foods in life, so here is a recipe for vegan pesto potatoes, a treat to celebrate carbs and starchy foods:
Pesto Potatoes (vegan-friendly)
Total time required: 35 minutes
- ½ cup basil leaves, packed
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp shiro (white) miso
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp hulled hemp seeds
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 – 1.5lb bag of The Little Potato Company’s Terrific Trio Creamer potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- In a food processor, pulse basil, cashews, garlic, and salt, until cashews are finely chopped and evenly textured.
- Add the miso, nutritional yeast, and hemp seeds. Pulse until combined.
- While the processor is running, very slowly pour in the olive oil, followed by the water.
- To prevent oxidation, spoon pesto into a small jar and top with a thin layer of olive oil. As you use the pesto, you can stir the oil in or discard/reserve for later.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut any larger potatoes in half.
- Combine potatoes, olive oil, and a generous sprinkle of salt. Mix well.
- Spread potatoes onto a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip, and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender and golden brown.
- Mix potatoes with a generous amount of pesto. The potatoes taste best when coated thoroughly.
Recipe source: http://www.ilovevegan.com/vegan-pesto-potatoes/